POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trying to code an "offset rotation" for SL. : Re: Trying to code an "offset rotation" for SL. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to code an "offset rotation" for SL.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jul 2008 01:42:42
Message: <MPG.22e72547d2aee12998a182@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.22e5fee72acf026d98a181@news.povray.org>,
sel### [at] rraznet says...

> Thanks for the fix.

Actually. It maybe works, and maybe doesn't. lol This is a good start
though, since the real issue may be more subtle. If I am right about
what is going wrong this time, then SL supports:

Rotate everything via base prim.
Rotate locally, as though the base prim moved, but only move the object.
Rotate the object, but not the base prim.

Obviously, this is "still" a problem if your intent is to rotate the
third or forth object out from the center, like if you had body + upper
arm + lower arm, etc., and you want to move the lower arm. (This would
be, presumably an crane, or some other non-player object, just to be
clear.) By using local rotation *and* SetPos, I may have, in effect,
rotated the object to the Rot angle, by positioning it, then rotated it
"again" by that angle, using SetLocalRot. Needless to say, this is
"not" working as I had intended. lol I will have to experiment some more
to see what is really going on.

But, if it is the problem, then at least this math lends itself to
rotation at points "other" than the center of the objects, or around the
base prim, given a "bit" of modification. So, it could be set up to
rotate it at an object corner, a cylinders end cap, or any other
arbitrary point, on or off, the object. Which is a "vast" improvement
over the original situation. Just needs using "SetRot", instead of
"SetLocalRot" to get the right angle for the objects own facing.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();